Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates


What are Carbohydrates?

Carbohydrates, often called ‘carbs’ are one of the four major food groups. Carbohydrates are a large group of.  organic compounds occurring in foods and living tissues and including sugars, starch, and cellulose. They contain hydrogen and oxygen and typically can be broken down to release energy in the body.  They are an important part of a balanced diet. There are two categories of carbohydrates which is, 'complex' and 'simple'.

  • 2 types
    • Starchy (33% of your daily diet)
      • Complex
        • Slow Release Energy
    • Sugars (4% of your daily diet)
      • Simple
        • Quick Release Energy
  • Rice
  • Bread
  • Potatoes
  • Cereals
    • Wheat
    • Corn
    • Oats
    • Bran
    • Grains
      • Couscous
      • Quinoa
      • Faro
      • Bulgar Wheat
  • Pasta
  • Marco Nutrients
  • Fibre

If you consume too much fibre it could either lead to constipation -> diarrhea

Too Much Sugary Carbs:
Diabetes
Obesity
Tooth Decay

Starchy Carbs (Complex)

Complex carbohydrates are found naturally in vegetables, and wholegrain foods such as

wholemeal bread, brown rice and pasta. Grains, such as wheat, oats, rice and rye, have
three parts to them: the endosperm, germ and bran. When these grains are refined, the
germ and bran are removed, leaving only the endosperm. When they are unrefined, the
bran and the germ are left intact. These unrefined grains are called ‘whole grains’.








Sugar Carbs (Simple)








Pasta


History



- History
- Origin
- Types / Shapes
- How its made
- Type of dishes
- Different colours
- How to use different make colourful pasta


What the school is going to provide us

-100g pasta shapes
-onion
-garlic
-chilli
-milk
-butter
-flour
-stock cube
-chopped tomato
-tomato puree
-seasonings



Pasta


Rice

Grain
  • Wheat
  • Couscous
  • Quinoa
  • Oats
  • Bran
  • Corn/ Maize
  • Faro
  • Bulgan Wheat

Rice

  • China
    • Congee
    • Fried Rice
  • Italy
    • Risolto
  • Japan
    • Sushi
  • India
    • Biryani
  • Spain
    • Paella
  • Thailand
    • Sticky Rice
  • Indonesia
    • Nasl Sorlan
  • Korea
    • Binbiba
  • Scotland
    • Kedgree
  • England
    • Rice Pudding
  • Jamaica
    • Jcombalya
  • Mexico
    • Burrito
  • South Africa
    • Yellow Rice


What I'm going to make

SUSHI

Bring the rice ready made so you can just make the sushi in school.
  • Cucumber Sushi - Vegetarian
  • Salmon Sushi - Handroll and Sashimi
  • Kitsune Brown Rice
  • Panda Hand Made Rice
  • Salmon Onigiri

Sticky - High starch
Grainy - Wash it - Reduce the starch








Reflection

Overall, I think that my sushi turned out better than I expected. I made a vegetarian one where it's just cucumber without any meat just rice and I made one with salmon and another one with tofu, with the left over cucumber and salmon I made another sushi with both ingredients. When I had extra time I decided to make a small panda for decoration. With the left over cucumber I made small thin slices to make it look like a bamboo for the panda. I used a stone plate to present the sushi. I really liked the sushi and the feedback I got from my friends were very positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment